Saturday, January 13, 2007

Insight into Drugs in Endurance Sports

As I sit here watching NFL playoff football, my mind wanders to the subject of drugs in sport. A few years ago while I was visiting my uncle, he showed me an article from Outside Magazine. The author of the article dopes up on all the best performance enhancing drugs and gives a report of their effects. Under a doctor's supervision he takes EPO, HGH, testosterone, and steroids. The article is a really insightful read, and shows why drugs are such a lure to professional athletes.

I recently finished reading Breaking the Chain by Willy Voet. It's partially about Voet's account of the 1998 Festina scandal during the Tour. All the drugs that WADA is just now able to test for were being used back then. That goes to show that the drug takers have always been ahead of the authorities.

1 comment:

Bike Drool said...

The Outside article was a great read! Thanks for linking it. That guy had to be f**kin' crazy to make himself a guinea pig??

Check out Israel and Egypt photos here
Check out my Egypt photos here