Tuesday, October 24, 2006

History 4

Summer 2004

This was a good summer for me. At Tour of St. Louis, I wasn't able to get a win, but I was near the top in every field and got third overall. There is a picture from the TT in History 2. In the middle of June I took a two week vacation to Atlanta where I continued to train. The Proctor Cycling Classic was the first weekend I was back in the Midwest. I got third in both the road race and the criterium to take first overall. I got a little plaque to take back to my dad (it was father's day). The following weekend was the Illinois State Road Race, which I won. It was nice to finally get a win in the midst of all these top ten placings. I felt that my fitness was finally coming back to where I was before finals. Finally, just before Superweek... I should also mention that I had been talking to Julie Carter (former Director, Long John Silvers Cycling Team; current Director Mesa Cycles Racing Team) about a spot on their team.

My first Superweek race of '04 was in Menasha, WI. In the closing laps I got into a break with two other riders. One of them was too weak to work and the other beat me. Go figure. In any case, this put me in second overall, nipping at the heels of Randy Reichardt. The next day in Manitowoc I took four primes and the race win. Monday was Alpine Valley where I got into a two man breakaway with the winner from the previous year. Barely winning Whitnall Park I attacked/sprinted him with about 300m to go and won. The day after at MGA Proving Grounds, I won again, this time in a pack sprint. Wednesday was the Whitnall Park RR. It's a beautiful course winding its way through parks in western Milwaukee. I narrowly won that race in a pack sprint. You can see in the picture how close the race was (I'm father away from the camera). In a higher res version of the picture, I'm about a pixel farther along than the other rider. Thursday was Humbolt Park, where I got sixth. The rider who got fifth was Michael Anderson, who had emerged as my closest competitor. Friday I won Brewer's Hill Criterium in downtown Milwaukee. The last three laps of the race were very bizarre weather-wise. Early in the race I kept hearing people cheer, "Go Mike!" They couldn't be cheering for me cause I didn't know anyone watching for me that day. I later found out that they were cheering for Mike Anderson. Weather-wist, a nice, hot, Midwestern summer had turned into torrential storm weather. I attacked on the back side of the course and took the uphill, tight corners as fast as I could. Anderson was half a bike behind me by the finish. After the race I went to dinner with Jesse Mendonca (from CA) and his host family. By the time the pro race started that evening the sun was out again.

After an unexpectedly good seven days of racing, I took Saturday off. Saturday was the Carl Zach Cycling Classic, which I hate, so I didn't miss it. Winning my seventh Superweek raceSunday was Bensenville. Bensenville is a fast course in a western suburb of Chicago (by O'Hare). It was the first race where I had family and friends in attendance. I was able to make them proud by winning my sixth Superweek race. Monday was Holy Hill, where everyone looked to me to chase every break down. I won the field sprint for seventh. Tuesday, the Lake Front course was the same, except I finished third, getting second in the field sprint. I skipped Wednesday on account of the distance to the race. Thursday, another crit, featured a large breakaway that was threatening, but didn't stay away. I won the field sprint and got a good picture out of it too. Friday was Kenosha, my last day as a 3. I won my eighth and final Superweek 3's race. I had mathematically locked-up my overall victory. Even if Mike Anderson won the next two races and I scored no points, he wouldn't catch my lead. I got my upgrade right after the end of the 3's race and jumped into the Pro race. Amazingly, I finished. I was not so lucky for the next two nights. That's all I've got to say 'bout Superweek.

The next weekend was the Arlington Heights crit. I crashed badly and was off the bike for a few weeks. The rest of the season was lack-luster after my Superweek showing, but the team did get some good results at IRS (Indiana Race Series: 1st, 2nd, 5th overall), and Onley (1st, 2nd, 3rd). It's a long post, but there was lots to say. Next: training as a Cat. 2.

No comments:

Check out Israel and Egypt photos here
Check out my Egypt photos here