Thursday, August 23, 2007

Flooded

Today didn't start all that bad. I mean, I'm missing Aspen, so that sucks. I realized the true scope of my current project last night, so I've realized I'll be working this weekend as well. At about 3 o'clock this afternoon, a storm front rolled into Chicago what crippled the city. It hit the northern 'burbs first, trailing across downtown. I didn't even think about leaving the office early (I had actually planned on staying late). The winds blew patio furniture onto Lake Shore Drive, felled trees, and the water completely flooded the Wilmette streets, so that you couldn't even see the top of the curb.

Dad drove Erin and I home around 7:30. We didn't get home till 8:45 cause we stopped by the outlet of the North Branch River to see it flooding. Normal river height is about -1. The top of the flood wall at the locks is +5. The North Branch had risen to +7 and had flooded the gate house. It was quite a sight to see. Dad talked with the Chief Electrician, who gave him the run down. Basically, the gate never made it more than a foot open, and the channel flooded.

1 comment:

Bike Drool said...

Mike, just read about "Chicago scraps city Wi-Fi plan"... well yeah, covering 228 square miles does seem a bit craze... but are other parts of Chicago covered? Like The Loop, or specific neighborhoods?

I think the CWE here is a wi-fi area? Philadelphia is a wi-fi city, right? Or at least the downtown? Thought I read that somewhere......

Check out Israel and Egypt photos here
Check out my Egypt photos here