Tuesday, October 31, 2006

History 8

Summer 2006

This season was another season of learning. The big difference between this season and the last was the presence of clear leaders. Josh and Steve were both strong, on-bike influences in my riding. Having those leaders introduced a new level of accountability. If someone screwed up or didn't perform in a race, there was something said about it. It was good for me because I had to push myself past what I thought were my limits. Now, down to the details.

After a little post-graduation vacation in Colorado, I raced the Missouri State Road Race. Although I do look back at the weekend with much regret, (different actions on my part could have won us both races) I did come away as MO State RR Champ. The next weekends were big money crits: Winghaven, Rochester, & Proctor. There were a couple of other races in there, but little of note.

Superweek was next (I should mention that I was feeling pretty good coming into Superweek). I was in the money for a few crits, even getting a top 15 at Menasha, but after about a week of racing I began to get tired. All told I did 10 races in 11 days. I proceeded to do a few more Superweek races before going to Altoona. THIS WAS A BIG MISTAKE. I didn't take enough rest during July and cracked bad in stages 3 and 4 of Altoona. When I came back to the Midwest I broke into a fever and had to take time off the bike. When I finally did get back on, the Tuesday Night training races had become grueling. I was stuck at medium-fast for the rest of the season. All the way through Tour of Elk Grove, Downers Grove, Winfield, & Gateway I was near useless.

Gateway was the last of my racing for 2006, after taking a few days off I continued to train till the end of September. The season had gone down as another season of learning and I was determined to pool all my resources to have a break-out season in '07. With a new focus on weight and overall health, I took my weeks off in early October and ended my 2006 season.

No comments:

Check out Israel and Egypt photos here
Check out my Egypt photos here